Tuesday 20 January 2015

Everything Is Shining about The Shining, Well Except One Thing

 The Shining. Well what more can I say? This movie was incredible. In my opinion, all but one aspect of a great movie was achieved throughout Stanley Kubrick’s work of art.

This movie was indeed wonderful. It had an awesome director (that doesn’t even begin to explain how marvellous his work is) that worked so hard on this movie. His dedication from the very beginning of shooting to the end of postproduction remained consistent throughout. The screenplay, written by Diane Johnson and Stanley Kubrick was inspirational. The dialogue was true to the character assigned to it. The setting and the props used in the movie were incredibly detailed (well obviously, it’s a Kubrick film right?). Everything in the movie had to be just right for Kubrick. If something wasn’t right, if one picture was not hung straight, or if a flower was missing from a garden, the production crew would have to re film the entire scene.

Many people would say that this movie was bang on. Every little detail was considered into the making of The Shining. I would have to agree, except, there was one aspect to The Shining that I find questionably wrong almost.

Yes the movie did have an incredible soundtrack, an exciting setting and creative props with a creative director, but I do question one of the casting choices.

Steven King and I have one thing in common. We believe that Shelley Duvall should not have been casted as Wendy Torrance. I absolutely adored every other casting decision Kubrick made. For example, Jack Nicholson was an incredible actor to cast as the lead role. He matched the image of Jack Torrance that I made up in my mind while I was reading the novel. However, Shelley Duvall was not the actress for the role of Wendy. Heck I am almost certain that Danny Lloyd could have played Wendy better than her.

The problem with Shelley is that she seemed almost too weak and too helpless. I know that the character is supposed to be weak and helpless but I feel almost as if Shelley was over-acting and exaggerating everything. And then when she over exaggerated everything and is supposed (notice the word supposed) to be traumatized by her husband’s actions and intentions, she looks like she is quite frankly (and I hate to say this, but) constipated throughout her entire time on camera.  I found myself laughing out loud during the time I should be scared shitless.

IM SORRY FOR THE SWEARING BUT THAT PUN WAS GREAT WASN’T IT?


#FunFactOfTheBlog – I am a pun master

What I do not understand though, is that Stanley Kubrick kept Shelley, even though he hated her. Kubrick hated the way that she acted and knew that her performance was weak. Stanley actually had to taunt and traumatize Shelly to coach her and show her how she is supposed to act in the film.


Anyways, so as you can see, Stanley Kubrick was almost spot on with yet another one of his famous movies, and I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a horror movie that will not be distracted by the poor casting decision.   


No comments:

Post a Comment